Dress Code: The Student’s Perspective

[dropcap size=small]S[/dropcap]enior Cole Mitchell has a lot of different outfits that he likes to wear, he spends lots of money on name brand clothing, but he can’t wear most of them because they go against a policy that has been plaguing him and others for years.

“Some teachers have commented on my outfits. They’ve told me to cover my stomach or I’ll be dress coded,” Mitchell said.

Although the dress code may seem unnecessary, there is an undefined line that is understandable for most students. There is a difference between wearing a crop top and wearing a shirt that is too small. Often, some students cannot afford buying a larger size shirt, because some clothing does not sell bigger size clothes or it is just way too expensive.

“Yeah I’ve been dress coded since elementary school. I’ve been told my shirts were too small, I need to cover my stomach, stuff like that,” sophomore Nikki Albert said.

In elementary school the dress code was basic: No spaghetti straps, no sagging, and no crude humor or double meanings. But it only got more elaborate from there.

In middle school the policy got a little more tight on what students were wearing: No bad or inappropriate logos, no short shorts, and no crop tops. When it came time for dances the dress code was more strictly enforced with the policies like: No strapless dresses, no jeans, no t-shirts, and no tennis shoes.

“I’ve gotten stares and glares from teachers about my outfits, I understand what they are trying to say with the dress code but at times it feels ridiculous or unnecessary,” Albert said.

Some of the policy is at the teacher’s discretion which can make it a little more difficult on what is acceptable to wear and what is considered inappropriate. Because while some teachers may say that shirt is not too short others may think otherwise.