The Little Movies We Watch While We Sleep

What does dreaming mean to students at LSHS

Dreams are still a mystery, despite all the research experts have done and the theories that float around at times. Scientists cannot quite pinpoint exactly what those all-too-real-feeling fantasies are. That is why I wanted to gain some insight from the student body; what are dreams to you?

“In my opinion, dreams can be anything; warning for the future, deep-seated fears, underlying thoughts within the subconscious mind… it’s really all about what the person dreaming believes it to be,” sophomore Ayva Jennings said. 

According to Medical News Today, research has concluded that dreaming supports offline memory processing, preparation for possible future threats, cognitive simulation of real-life experiences, and helps to develop cognitive abilities. 

“Dreams are the gateway to your imagination and to a different reality that is altered for your own by a different perception,” senior Preston Myers said. 

Jennings and Myers both agree that dreams must have a deeper purpose than to exist only for entertainment, especially because such a large number of people do not even remember them when they wake up. 

“I think dreams are much bigger and mean much more than we give them credit for,” Jennings said. 

There have been many conspiracies on what dreams really are – one that ties into what these students are saying is the theory that when we dream, we are in the astral realm and what we are doing is more real than we deem it to be. 

I think dreams are much bigger and mean much more than we give them credit for”

— Sophomore Ayva Jennings

“My craziest dream I ever had was when I was six years old. I had a dream that I had taken a family vacation and I met someone who I did not know whatsoever. I was touched forever by this person in a way that opened my mind to a new perception,” Myers said.

It is widely believed that one of the reasons we have deja vu is because of what we experience in dreams; Myers’ dream is a perfect example of that.

“Then three years later my family and I went on our first-ever vacation. I vividly remember going into a mall with my family and something about the mall I was in caught my attention that I had seen it before. I remember talking aloud to myself and saying ‘this is deja vu,’” Myers said.

Myers revealed that only seconds later, the same woman from his dream tapped him on the shoulder, asking how he knew what deja vu was. He explained that he had learned about it, and the woman told him that something about him makes him stand out amongst others. 

“I hear my mom calling out to me so I turn around and when I turn back to tell the lady goodbye, she was gone. Vanished without a trace of her to be found,” Myers said.

Dreams can feel so real that you almost swear it had to have happened, and sometimes waking up from a dream makes you feel like it truly happened. 

“I would be circling up a canyon with a car racing behind me, and I would get to a point on the canyon and swerve off, rolling down the hill. I would wake up on the floor or in my closet because the swerve of me falling down the canyon took a physical toll on me whilst I slept,” Jennings said.

Dreams can be tricky when they feel incredibly real; it is hard to decipher in the moment if it is truly happening.

“The dream world is a very interesting place; it is not always good, but not always bad. You can definitely lose yourself inside of it,” Myers said. 

Whether dreams are real, fake, or a distant place we travel to during sleep, one thing is for sure; they remain a mystery for now.