Hi-Life Online

Filed under Showcase, Voice

Forget Fast Food

Students stay on campus for lunch.

The crowds fill the halls after the first bell rings and she rushes to the cafeteria, wishing that she could just go to Quick Trip for a bag of chips and a soda with her friends. Senior Misty Shook spends most of her time at home with her family, work, and school, leaving little time for a social life. Delving deeper into that matter, every student looks forward to lunch to gossip about what happened the first half of the day, or even to relax for a period of time. Of course, this is a school and there will always be limitations. It has been constantly discussed between faculty and students whether they should be allowed to leave campus during their lunchtime to get whatever they want from neighboring restaurants.

Student’s are not allowed to leave school grounds for lunch, but the cafeteria offers many different options for students.

“Safety is important as far as driving. It’s bigger than what they think. It’s running over to the gas station or running over to Schlotky’s. If a parent called we would have no way of getting ahold of you and we are responsible for them,” vice principal Ria Moses said.

One of the biggest points most students do not take into account is that while they are at school, teachers are responsible for students and they are worried for their safety and as a mother, Moses expresses that deeply. Vice principal Michelle Edwards agrees that safety is important.

Edwards has been assistant vice principal for 6 years and as far back as she can remember no student has ever been able to leave without having repercussions.

“Lunch is only 23 minutes, so there’s not enough time to get to their car, get their food, eat, then get back safely. If there was a system with more time it would be more doable,” Edwards said.

Students have trouble seeing and understanding this point.

The cafeteria offers healthy choices such as fruits and vegetables as well.

“The choices are always there. They don’t have to make that choice. We have evolved as 17 years ago, the choices have gotten bigger,” Moses said.

When asked if Moses believed students had matured in her 17 years as an administrator at LSNHS, she stated she knows that times are changing and choices have to change along with those times.

At the moment, we are bound to the school grounds for our safety and by time constraints. If the lunch period were extended that would mean a longer school day, then everyone would complain, so for now everything is perfect as it should be, relaxed and safe, leaving students like Misty Shook with all the stress she can handle.