Hi-Life Online

Filed under Showcase, Voice

Running Rumors

Common, everyday stressor is brought into light.

Students are faced with many different stresses, such as homework, jobs, personal lives. I have seen more than my fair share of schools all over before finally settling down in my home town. The possible combinations differ on the lifestyles of the student, but there is one stressor that touches most students lives in some way, shape, or form no matter what. During my travels, I have seen students lives change because of rumors.

“If something’s going around about someone, whether it’s true or not, that can be a source of anxiety,” counselor Ashley Ekochu said.

MIND MONSTER: Suicide makes up 1 of the 3 leading causes of death among adolescents aged 15-19 years. “Students can build up their protector factors, things in their life that are supportive,” School Psychologist Kay Melander said. Melander suggests telling someone or using a hotline to get support. The suicide hotline is 1-800-273-8255. Help is always available.

While students are young and impressionable, their social lives become important to them. As Ekochu points out, it can also cause anxiety which I had not thought of before. In fact, the average teenager deals with the same amount of anxiety as a psychiatric patient in the 1950’s.
“Some of the reasons may be a decrease in social connectedness” according to psychologytoday.com.

This does not mean that there is a direct connection to the rumors causing the social break, however it would not be surprising if it furthers it in future societies. Furthermore, psychologytoday.com has also said that 17% of the world will have anxiety. While that sounds pretty small, 17% of seven billion is still one billion three hundred million. With the odds so high, it is believable that when emotionally unstable teens hear strangers murmur their name and pass shady glances their way they would gain anxiety of some sort.

TWO FACED: Anxiety disorders are the most common of all illnesses. “The world is much more fast paced, teens feel like they need to constantly catch up,” Campus Supervisor Mike Luttenegger said. About 25 percent of teens are affected by this disorder.

Some people do not know that they are helping to bring harm to others by talking about them. Sometimes they do not think of it or realize how far spread the rumor will go, mostly because they do not understand what a rumor is. There are several things that make up a rumor. They are telling information, they answer questions people want answered, and they are going around to multiple people and spreading. There is one factor that is more important than the others. Rumors are unverified, meaning if it is in circulation then no one will ask who the rumor is targeting, their side of the story.

Students are different all over the country and I have seen all sorts of different kinds of personalities. Amongst all of them, not any of type was immune to the stress of rumors.