Mixing It Up

Understanding the day-to-day struggles of students with dyslexia.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mixing It Up

A student is in front of the whole class answering a math question on the board, they mix up the numbers and embarrassment arises as the class begins to laugh.

“Dyslexia is a term used for a pattern in a person’s learning,” school psychologist Kay Melander said.

This is a common situation for children and adults with Dyslexia. Brielle Magee, a student teacher, has first hand experience with Dyslexia and the troubles that come along with it.

“I was always scared to misspell or switch up things on the board while in front of the class but I have learned that Dyslexia is just apart of me and if I mess up a student can correct me and spell proof me,” Magee said.

The way she found out about her Dyslexia was during the eighth grade in her advanced math class.

“The numbers in the math equations would move or switch around,” Magee said.

Dyslexia is more common than one would think, one out of every five students has a learning disability which is commonly Dyslexia and over 40 million adults have Dyslexia and only 20 million would ever know. Dyslexia is also not tied to an IQ nor does it affect the amount of effort someone can put into their work.

“I live with it, I once thought it was bad but it’s just apart of me and I have learned to live with it,” Magee said.

I live with it, I once thought it was bad but it’s just apart of me and I have learned to live with it.”

— Magee

Magee does not let her Dyslexia bother her and continues to do the things she loves such as teaching her art class.

“I choose to teach art because it is the only class that does not have a specific outcome and increases creativity in the students,” Magee said.

Magee is a devoted teacher who has overcome her fears and is taking the steps to becoming a full time art teacher.

“Lee’s Summit school system this year released screenings throughout k-12 for training and instructions on if the student has a learning disability or not. Most student in elementary will often come to find they have Dyslexia,” Melander said.

Missouri passed a new law in 2016 demanding that schools have a better program for students with Dyslexia or who wants to know if they have Dyslexia or any other form of a learning disability. They now have screenings that can be done to tell whether or not a student is affected by a learning disability. There are also programs you can find online to help students with their Dyslexia that have read aloud books.

Many students never will know if they have a learning disability and won’t get the right help which can affect their school work and mental health.