Hi-Life Online

Making Melodies

An inside look on the effects of music on students, and the best ways to learn them.

As orchestra instructor Carrie Turner looks around the room at all of the people she is attempting to teach, she cannot help but feel a sense of joy and pride in it. She has taught these kids to think musically, and now they are all beginning to improve.

“Music is a hearing art, and it is not what most people think it is. In order to teach someone, I have to open their mind upto listening,” guitar instructor Mike Maynard said.

Music is a very big thing in many people’s lives. Whether you play an instrument professionally, or simply sing in the shower, you are going to have music somewhere in your life. When it comes to learning an instrument, there are many different reasons to learn.

“I think that it makes you a different kind of smart. I hear things that others do not hear, simply because I listen in a different way. I believe music makes you smarter by making you more aware of the world,” Maynard said.

A NEW CHORD: Music teach Dr. Carrie Turner tells the benefits of learning music and while there are many, for example independence and group skill, it depends on the person. “It probably depends on the person who is learning it and what they are going to get out of it personally,” said Turner.

“Learning at a much younger age can be difficult, but by the end it really pays off. Music is a lifelong journey, and you should always be looking to improve,” Turner said.

Altogether, music has a large effect on people, and can be a very good thing to get involved in. You can play an instrument, or even just sing. There are multiple benefits to learning music, and if you are looking for a new way to challenge yourself, you should a music class.