LSHS Debate

Back to Article
Back to Article

LSHS Debate

Everyone, especially teenagers, get into arguments, but the debate and forensics class takes it to a whole new level.  Sit down with any debate kid and ask them how they like the class; there is always a smile with the answer.  Debates fundamental structure is to teach students public speaking skills and how to form valid cases while thinking things through in a logical manner.

“Well, there are three different types of debate,” senior Sam Burrow said. “Public forum, Policy, and Lincoln-Douglas.”

Public forums basic explanation is two sides are forming or negating a resolution.  Policy is the type of debate where students have a team, and form a plan that they think should be passed by the federal government. Lincoln-Douglas is the expressive debate where students discuss and debate feelings towards a resolve.

“There is two rounds of forensics to begin a tournament, where a team of five to six preform a piece,” Burrow said “forensics is a lot like acting, then there’s two rounds of debate.”
Every month there is a tournament for debate students and a new topic is chosen for every type of debate. This month’s topics are the spread of nuclear pollution for Public Forum, economic engagement of Cuba, Venezuela, and Mexico for Policy, and compulsory voting for Lincoln-Douglas.

“Debate is so fun,” freshman Ben Williamson said, “the people are really cool and the arguments are interesting.  LSHS is hosting a tournament in about a week or two from now, it’s going to be really cool to meet all those new people and wear a suit.”

The debate tournaments are very formal events, where the students are required to wear professional clothing while presenting a case.

“Well, the class, usually it’s just a free period of interesting arguments, there isn’t really any work until a week or two before the tournament, then it’s a lot of putting together a case and preparing,” senior Zack Dodson said.  “For tournaments, you usually get on the bus to go wherever it is they are hosted around 5th or 6th hour, and then you present your cases and debate, then come back the next day. It’s really fun and a lot of hard work but in the end it pays off.”

With the changing topics each month, a lot of work and research goes into making a case. You may often find a debate student working hard on a case in the library before a tournament. Whether it be public speaking or wearing a suit the debate kids know how to make the life of a debater a fun one, while still doing their work.

Story By Maddie Jones